Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Healing Power of Garlic

With ear and respiratory infections abounding during the winter months, let's look at some ways to deal with them naturally. My first line of defense is always garlic- in its many forms! For adults, Kyolic (odor modified) Garlic capsules are ideal, and can be taken to treat or prevent infections. You should take two capsules with each meal for as long as you have symptoms, then you can cut back to one per meal. ALWAYS take garlic capsules with food- otherwise you will burp, have an upset stomach, and be socially unacceptable! Add to that Natrol Ester-C, and you have an unbeatable combination. (Also take 2 per meal with the garlic.) I personally take this all winter to keep my immune system strong. For children, there is Michael's garlic oil. This is a lifesaver as it gives you a simple way to give them an effective dose. At the first sign of a cold or flu, put 4-5 drops in one ear, massage next to their face to get the garlic down into the ear canal, then put in a small piece of cotton ball. If they are coughing or wheezing, you can also rub several drops of the oil onto their chest or back. If you miss the early warning signs and end up with a full-blown ear infection, you can still use this same method, just be diligent to use it twice a day, alternating ears. Add to this Hyland's Vitamin C pellets(for lack of a better word!), which can be purchased at your local health food store. They come in small doses, and simply melt in your child's mouth. I have used this with infants, and it is perfectly safe. If you or your child has already had an antibiotic this winter, you should get a potent form of acidophilus to replenish the good bacteria that was killed along with the bad by the medicine. Two capsules in the morning and two capsules at night on an empty stomach should have you straightened out in a week or two. Then continue with 2 at bedtime for the rest of the winter. The beauty of taking acidophilus(or probiotics) is that in the capsule it is simply beneficial bacteria, but once in your intestines, it forms a natural antibiotic! I would not be without it in my home . A good potent brand will always be found in the refrigerator at the store, and should be kept refrigerated.
Well, ladies, that is enough for now! Please comment or ask questions. I look forward to hearing from you!

17 comments:

Teecy said...

Yes! peggy is posting! great info mom! thanks!
keep it coming!

Donna said...

FINALLY! I keep checking, waiting anxiously for a post from Wise Peggy. That was a good one. I still remember our conversation on garlic last 4th of July and I have to chuckle to myself!!!! Thanks for posting. Keep it up and keep informing us. If only we could get Jenius to do a blog...

Denise said...

Mrs. Christmas!!!! I am so excited! Let me just testify to anyone reading this, if you have breastfeeding issues, just call Mrs. Christmas. She knows it well!

Thanks for the help you gave me last summer. It worked, and you would be proud to know, 10 months and still BFing!

Denise said...

By the way, with such a cool site you need to add a blog counter to see how many people view your blog. You'd be surprised how many hits you would have. And, it is an encouragement to keep the posts coming. The free blog counter site is www.blogpatrol.com

Dolly said...

YES! Lil Peg is up and running! I love the blog and the title. I will be a big fan of this blog and will learn from your wisdom. (you and my mom). I had a stomach ache yesterday and my mom gave me some probiotics and it really helped.

I do have a question....for someone like me who isn't sick right now, did you suggest taking a garlic pill with every meal every day just like a vitamin? What if you are taking vitamins too?

Teecy said...

great question dolly. hmmm...i wonder what lil' peg will say...
you know, i can't wait to have kids just so i can put garlic in their ears at night.
mom, i told you we were blog crazy!

Janis Reber said...

Peggy, I'm so glad you've decided to do this blog. I really liked your first post. I'm learning every day too...about health issues and supplements, that is....so I love reading and listening to everything I can. I don't think I'll ever blog myself, but reading what you have to say is going to be one of my highlights whenever I log on to read everyone's blogs. Keep the great information coming. I've always admired you for all that you know about all this stuff.

Kristie said...

Hi Peggy - I am a friend of Dolly and Donna's, and I found your blog through their sites. I am also very interested in natural health and am excited to hear what you have to share with us! Thanks for posting!

Dolly said...

I love that all my worlds are colliding. Kristie is my friend from CHarlotte when I worked at BGEA and I admire her BIG TIME for the way she takes care of her health. I used to ask her health questions about Splenda, etc when we worked together. Kristie, Peggy is like a second mom to me. I've known her all my life and I can remember eating wheat pancakes with honey (instead of syrup) on Sat mornings at their house. She's a good one to learn from.

Kristie said...

Dolly you are very sweet to say that, and funny how you mentioned Splenda. We eat raw honey on our wheat pancakes too! :)

Peggy Christmas said...

In answer to Dolly's question: you CAN take garlic in addition to a multivitamin. It will not interfere with any vitamin or mineral you may be taking, and is a great idea all winter long. I take it all year long, because unlike some herbs, (like echinacea), it is perfectly safe over a prolonged period of time. It has proven to be antiviral,antibacterial,antifungal, and antiparasitic! On top of that, is has been shown to promote a healthy heart and can regualte your blood pressure. There is no other substance on earth (that I know of) that has more medicinal benefit than garlic!

Dolly said...

well said Peggy. WELLLLLLL said! In that case, I'm going to Walgreens to pick me up some tonight. I'm going to get Leland to start taking them too. The thing I like about this is garlic isn't expensive like some of these vitamins and probiotics that are good to take. Thanks for answering my question wise one.

Anonymous said...

I'm anxious to hear more about the garlic (re Amy's planters wart). I had one as a child as only wish that I had known about Peggy's rememdy...whatever that may be.
Crystal

Unknown said...

Hi Mrs. Christmas. It's Hannah (remember...you came to my mom's house for Dolly's Christmas shower). I'm glad your officially a blogger! One question...what's your take on the name brand Garlique. Is that the same as straight up Garlic? I have a coupon for it...that's why I'm asking but I'm thinking that's more for heart/cholesterol?

DRS/Kristie...rewind, please. What did ya'll discuss about Splenda?!?? Please tell.

Teecy said...

Yes, I have a similar question...how important is the brand? Should it definitely be Kyolic? I wonder if I can get that at the GNC store here. I know that's not really a health food store, but I think they have garlic. The problem with the local health food stores is that I can't read the labels.
I'm feeling a cold coming on so I'm putting the drops in my ear tonight!
Mom, I added another link to your websites: fit for life.

Donna said...

Peg, Peg! ENCORE, ENCORE! I'm sitting on the edge of my computer chair just waiting....WAITING..for another post. Come on. All of your kids are either out of the house or at school all day. Please educate and entertain us:)

Anonymous said...

fans, fans, please...this is peggy's publicist...she is chomping at the bit to post again, but a sick mother-in-law and college papers (yes, she's a student too) are keeping her very busy. (plus she's a little confused about how to post again...bless her heart) She will be back soon. I've just returned to the land of computer access so I will help her soon. thanks for your support.