Wednesday, February 6, 2008

One More Word About Garlic!

Dolly had a great question, and I want to repeat part of my answer to her. Garlic is completely safe to take with any other vitamin or mineral, and has the most medicinal activity of any substance known to man! It is antiviral, antibacterial, antiparasitic, and antifungal! This is why it is so ridiculous for pediatricians to automatically put a child on an antibiotic because he has a fever. Without blood work, there is no way to know whether he is fighting a viral or bacterial infection. Chances are it is viral, and in the end all you have accomplished is compromising his immune system, and leaving him wide open to the next "bug" that comes around. I should add here, this is exactly where acidophilus is a lifesaver! If your child has had even one antibiotic this year, you really ought to get him on a good dose of acidophilus- 2 capsules before bedtime on an empty stomach is ideal- then you can cut back to one to keep his immune system strong. (Oh! By the way, all of this applies to adults, too!)
On a personal note, we had an interesting experience last week. I was in and out of Dogwood Forest (the assisted living facility where my mother-in-law lives) everyday last week while a horrible stomach virus was going through the place. Bob's mother's health started deteriorating and I was meeting with hospice and a sitter to set up a higher level of care- which is why I wasn't able to get back to you guys! I made especially sure to be vigilant in taking garlic and vitamin C all week, and I never caught it. On the other hand, Bob went in ONCE that week, and by 10:00 o'clock the next night was moaning in bed, and had a terrible bout of intestinal flu. I have been taking hefty doses of garlic and vitamin C all winter and, though he means to, Bob can't seem to remember on a consistent basis. Could that be the difference? Hmmm...
There was also a question about warts. Teecy won't mind me telling you that she had an outbreak on her hands in high school. Her dad insisted that we take her to the doctor and have them burnt off, so I complied, thinking the whole time- "I know a better way!" Sure enough they were gone when she finished that nasty procedure, but were back about 2 weeks later! This time we went the natural route. Every night I simply cut several garlic cloves in half, placed the cut edge right on the wart, and held it in place with a band-aid. There must have been 5 or 6 of them. If memory serves me right, it took about a week for them to disappear, and they NEVER came back!!
As to the brand of garlic to use, Kyolic is considered the premier product, but Nature's Way is a potent product, and I have used Garlique. Just be sure you get a name brand.
There is still more we could say about this wonderful substance, but we must move on! Next on the agenda? The dangers of refined sugar and immunizations, and the blessings of breastfeeding- for starters!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom, great post. You're a great writer, by the way. I like your style.
Ahem, Teecy does mind you sharing her wart story with the world! Just kidding...whatever I can do!

I knew you would have a hard time getting off the topic of garlic. You can always come back to it.

Love ya!

Dolly said...

Thanks for fully answering my questions Mrs. C. I really love learning more about natural stuff the older I get. We only have one body in life, why not give it our best. (that's a quote off a Denise Austin Pilates DVD that I do from time to time). Sometimes I feel like I take too many pills (being various vitamins) but it's good to know it's okay to do.
I'm sorry about your rough week last week with Mimi. I know you'll recieve your blessings for all you've done for her. She won't be around forever and you'll rest well knowing you did your all for her. I can't wait to hear more about the evils of sugar! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting. And yes, you're a great writer!!!! Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Mrs. Christmas (AKA Peg),

This is Dolly's friend, Hannah, again. Seems my household has come down with this nasty stuff making it's way around and I'm in the beginning stages of it. I'm also breastfeeding. It seems like I've read it's not good to take Vitamin C when you're BFing? Or am I imagining that? I've been drinking OJ like its going out of style and I'm headed to get some Garlic. Glad to know Garlique is good. Let me know on the Vitamin C.

Also, I'm curious about your take on immunizations. My 9 month old's next appt is her 12 month visit where she is supposed to get the dreaded MMR and I'm really pondering what to do.

Peggy Christmas said...

Hi, Hannah! You are on the right track going for the garlic! and, actually, it will pass to the baby through your milk and give her some benefit. too.(By the way, a study was done to see how babies responded to garlic in their mother's milk, and they found that babies whose mothers ate RAW garlic an hour before each feeding "nursed longer and more ENTHUSIATICALLY!") Apparently, they were pretty excited about the garlic flavor! As to vitamin C, I have never heard of it not being safe while breastfeeding, and I personally took it continuously during those years. Besides the things you can take for yourself and your baby, remember one of the most amazing things about breastfeeding is that your body begins IMMEDIATELY making antibodies to anything you are exposed to, and they go straight to your milk- there is plenty to go around for you and your baby!

Denise said...

I've got a question. How quickly does garlic work on ear infections compared to an antibiotic? I only ask this because with the misery of taking care of a baby with an ear infection, I want the quickest route possible to getting both me and my baby happy again.

Also, call me crazy, but I am loving the "blessing of breastfeeding" this time around. Another question: How many times a day should an 11 month old be nursing?

Teecy said...

I love that Dolly quoted Denise Austin...I've done that DVD too, so I knew that line sounded familiar.

Good questions Denise! I hope Lil' Peg is able to keep up!

Anonymous said...

At the risk of being graphic, perhaps we should include a general warning about Garlic's effect on the fragrance of flatus. I'm not one to naturally expel a lot of flatus and IF I do, it generally is odorless or fragrant as a rose. Under the influence of these garlic supplements, however, let's just say I would clear out a coughing, gagging room full of people...including myself! Now, I will say, not with Garlique BUT with the "nature's way" or whatever that one is called.

Donna said...

Who is this annonymous person?

Mrs. C--I am anxiously awaiting the BF post. I have a question regarding that:

Last week I went out with some friends so I had to pump a bottle for RA's bedtime bottle. When I've left one in the past, it's been about 7-8 oz. This amount seems to satisfy him. Well, that night I only was able to pump 4 oz! Roy said he had to thaw out another 4 oz. to satsify him. Is it possible that he gets the amount he needs naturally (more so than when I pump?). Am I losing my milk supply? I drink plenty of fluid throughout the day. When I breastfeed him he alwasy seems satisfied after each feeding session. I'm just a little confused.

Also, I was always under the impression that garlic messed up breast milk (the taste).

Dolly said...

okay, the "anonymous" person is Hannah. I can just tell by the way she writes and she recently went and bought a bunch of "Nature's Own" vitamins from the recommendation of Peggy. You're funny HPS!

Donna, if you read a little further up, Mrs. C talks about how many times babies actually like the taste of garlic in your breast milk if you are taking these supplements. I bet Italian babies REALLY love it!

Teecy said...

I just woke up from a 15 hour sleep! I got a stomach virus during the night two nights ago. I threw up twice and after the 2nd time, I rubbed garlic oil on the bottom of my foot and put socks on. I also rubbed some on my belly. I never threw up again. Hmmm...I don't know if the garlic could have worked that fast, but it didn't hurt. I still had a headache and felt generally achy all over. Now after my long sleep I just have a headache. (probably from too much sleep!)

Teecy said...

Mom, (and anyone else who chooses:), read Kara's latest blog post about family size. It's very sweet and you are mentioned! READ IT! READ IT! She's so sweet!
(of course, I love people who love our family:)
Go to my blog and click on her link. I just added it.

Amy said...

Hi Peg!
I just threw out tiramisu, key lime pie and sugar heart candies this morning after reading your post!