Tuesday, February 12, 2008

One FINAL Word (Ay least for now!)

We could talk forever about garlic and its many benefits! As to garlic causing gas- yikes!- I guess that is why I use Kyolic odor-modified garlic capsules! If you are having a problem, you should definitely switch to Kyolic. (And make sure that you always take garlic with food.) Also, I get my garlic, vitamin c, and all other nutritional supplements from Swanson for just about half of what they are in health food stores. Just go to swanson.com to order and you will receive a full catalog with your first order. (I do not use Swanson or any other brand "x" products, but Kyolic, Natrol, Nature's Way, etc are all available from Swanson.)
Donna, the taste of garlic does get into your breast milk, and babies, apparently, love it! As for pumping, I was never very successful at getting a volume of milk when I pumped, but the babies were content after being fed, as you said Roy Austin is. Your milk does not always let down as well for a breast pump as it does for a baby at your breast. I would not worry about whether he is getting enough, but be sure you continue to drink plenty of fluids everyday, especially water. Also, if you ever wonder if your milk supply is waning, let him nurse longer at each breast and make sure you are getting plenty of rest. This will increase your milk supply.
Denise, an antibiotic may work quicker than garlic, but with side effects. Since you are a stay-home mom and don't have to worry about having your children back in daycare the day after running a fever, I would choose the slower, more natural route. Also, every baby is different, but, in general, an 11-month-year-old will nurse 4-5 times a day. Matthew probably was still nursing 5-6 times a day at that point, but he was CRAZY about breastfeeding!
I hope I have answered all your questions- you guys are GREAT!
Next up- Sugar...The slow poison! (Then breastfeeding and immunizations!)

9 comments:

Donna said...

Very informative! I look forward to reading your posts and I'll look forward to the next one on sugar. I just baked a cake for V-Day and I licked some of the batter.

Bad, Donna. Bad girl. (slapping my hand).

Dolly said...

I'm loving "Practically Speaking". Good stuff, goooood stuff.

I cannot WAIT to hear about Sugar next. That is my down fall and maybe with more information on how bad it is for you, it will be easier to stop the intake. Way to go Mrs. C! As Donna says, you're a legend!

Teecy said...

I'm LOL at Donna!
Sugar is my downfall too...I am a cookie monster and a "crunch-n-munch!" The Reber girls know that better than anyone...they are the ones who started calling me that! I love to "even up" cakes!
Keep it coming mom!

Denise said...

Thank you Mrs. C. Margaux is eating about 4 sometimes 5 times in a 24 hours period. I am glad to know that is normal.

And, she has yet to have an ear infection!!! I just wanted to know for the future.

Love your blog, thanks for the help!

Dolly said...

Mrs. C, I know you've got a lot on your plate right now with school, etc but after all this V-day sugar, I'm itching to read your new post about sugar. It will make me want to repent and never go back.

Kristie said...

Mrs. C - This is Kristie again - Dolly and Donna's friend in Charlotte. I LOVE your blog. I got a little behind, but I just caught up and read it all to my husband who loves your blog too. I have to say - I have eaten so much garlic - all through my pregnancy and the past 8 months while breastfeeding...my daughter must love it by now. I can NOT wait to hear more about it - and your take on immunizations. Blog on, Mrs. C...blog on.

Kristie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna said...

Help! Bring on the sugar post. I have eaten SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOmuch sugar over the last 2 days. I need an intervention QUICKLY! And you are the person to do it to me. I'm waiting and waiting and waiting!!

Joanna Christmas said...

For the next blog that you were going to write about breastfeeding and such, there is a great website you should check out. www.givingbirthnaturally.com
some of the stuff is a little questionable, but most of it is right on!!! i was checking it out and thought you would like it...