Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sugar...the Slow Poison!

Well, Ladies (and Gents!) Here are the cold, hard facts! Our bodies really were not made to handle white, refined sugar! Pre-civilized man did not consume it! Our upper intestines are not able to handle it, where sugars are supposed to be digested, so it gets passed on to the lower intestines, where it really wreaks havoc. No wonder it is being linked to colon cancer. We also know that sugar causes cavities, obesity, acne, diabetes, gall bladder disease, arteriosclerosis, and heart disease! It supresses the immune system- in fact, the amount of sugar in a soda and a candy bar is enough to "knock out" our infection-fighting capabilities for 24 hours. (No wonder our kids used to get sick after I would give in and let them go out trick-or-treating, and they binged on candy for several days.) So, why do we consume it in such great quantities? Because it tastes SSOOO good, and the sugar industry spends a fortune advertising its many products. In the late 1800's, the average American consumed 5 lbs. of sugar a year. Do you want to take a guess at what it is today? It is up to 2-3 lbs a week, which translates into 100-150 lbs a year! Childhood obesity has doubled (from 20% to 40%!) in the last ten years- all of this occurring while we are continually being warned about our diets! Another huge problem is that every event we attend and every holiday has its own unique "sweets," and to deprive ourselves or our children of these delicious treats seems downright cruel! (Ask yourself this question: If someone gave you a vial filled with a white granular substance labeled "Poison" would you eat it? Worse yet- would you feed it to your children?) So, what's a mother to do? Making your own sweets using pure, raw honey or unrefined cane sugar is one solution. At the same time, try switching yourself and your kids over to fruits and vegetables for snacks. I have found that my kids are not generally going to go to the frig, get out an apple or orange and cut it up. But if I cut up apples, oranges, or pineapple and bring it to them in a bowl, they will gladly gobble them up! Bananas, cherries, and strawberries are even easier, as they require no preparation.(except washing the berries) Keeping zip-loc bags with washed and cut celery, carrots, and even broccoli can make it more probable that your kids will choose them. (Of course, ridding your home of "Little Debbie" snack cakes and candy will greatly increase your chances of getting your children- and yourself!- to make healthier choices.) Then, when it comes around to Thanksgiving and Christmas, it won't be such a big deal to splurge and enjoy some homemade cookies and pies!... This is certainly not an exhaustive treatment of a very unpopular subject (ridding your diet of refined sugar!), but I hope it helps!

14 comments:

Teecy said...

This information is a BIG motivator to stay off of sugar! I like that mentioned that it's okay to have it on special occasions, like holidays. I think you've told me before that it's what I put in my body 90% of the time that matters. Our bodies can handle small amounts of junk, correct?
Thanks mom!

Dolly said...

This is great info. You explained it well and makes me really think twice about what I put in my body. Good post Mrs. C, good post!

Denise said...

Okay Mrs. C, I will have to admit, great post! I was looking forward to reading what you had to say on sugar. So is the brown raw sugar akay to use? Also, what about Splenda?

I am proud to say that I DO cut up a plate full of fruit for my children every morning. They munch on it while we do school. Fruit can be expensive but it is an expense I am willing to pay, especially for good apples. My new favorite is the "Honey Crisp." This sweet apple can cost up to $3.00 a pound here, Ouch! Gas for your truck or apples????

Kristie said...

Can I also say that sugar is addictive? A while ago, my husband and I "went off" sugar for a long time. It seriously took a few days to a week before we were really not craving it anymore! And when you crave it - the craving is very strong! We just ate naturally occuring sugar - fruit and honey...nothing refined. We just wanted to stop so much sugar consumption - but we ended up losing a LOT of weight without even trying!!

Donna said...

I started my "NO SUGAR" diet today. I need to lose the rest of this baby weight. Sugar is my downfall:( I want to echo Denise's question: What about Splenda? I sometimes like to put a tsp or so of it in my hot tea, oatmeal or coffee. I've also baked with this in the past. Is this okay?

Unknown said...

Ouch. Reading this post feels like a pagan/heathen hearing about the Gospel and going to hell. But, but, but what if I'm a good person? I just don't know if I can let go....

In all seriousness, I'm not a big sweet tooth (except for freshly baked cookies) BUT what about BREAD, pasta, etc?!?!?! THAT is my downfall. Second of all, does implementing all of this talk give you gas?!?!?

Peggy Christmas said...

hey mom, do you like what i added to your blog...joanna's link and your profile?
(yeah, this is not peggy, this is teecy signed on as peggy. my mom has out sourced her website design to an overseas vendor (me), taking jobs away from americans...shame on you, peggy)

Peggy Christmas said...

don't forget to click "view my complete profile"
i'm having too much fun with this...i have too much power...muhahahaaaa (evil laugh)
-teecy

Donna said...

Teecy! LOL about Peg's profile. I love what you put!!! Talk radio? Mrs. C, you and Jenius were destined to be friends from the beginning. Don't tell me you like Clark Howard, too?

Denise said...

Mrs. Christmas (Teecy)Love the profile! Hey, I referenced you in my blog today.

Mike Christmas misses you said...

bravo mother....bravo....i'm back blogging so we can keep in better cyber touch
love you

Amy said...

I thought I left this comment, but it didn't show up. Mrs. C, I tossed out a keylime pie, tirimisu and candy hearts when I read this post. I have since fallen off the wagon with girl scout cookies though---it's tough!

My Year Without said...

I agree that holidays ARE the toughest time of year to deal with sweets!! Why is sugar, a known poison, the center of most of our celebrations!?? This year during the holidays I am determined to find the best ever recipes that use honey and brown rice syrup, etc. instead of white sugar and prove that goodies can taste good as well as be okay for you. I am in my 7th month of going without sugar....but I know the holidays will be the hardest. My blog is all about going without sugar and learning all I can about this stuff and alternatives....Watch out! Sugar is in practically everything!

Anonymous said...

it's so sad that practically speaking died. it had such hope. such promise.